Saturday, January 7, 2017

Caramel Bugles

 Recipe adapted from Dollie Nyberg's

INGREDIENTS
1 stick butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup honey
Splash of vanilla extract
29 oz Bugles
Cooking Spray

DIRECTIONS 
Prep a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and then spray with cooking spray, set aside.
In a very large mixing bowl, coat thoroughly with cooking spray, and then add Bugles. Set aside.
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar together until brown sugar is dissolved.
Turn up heat to medium-high, then add sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, and honey. Bring a boil, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula (to keep the bottom from burning). Continue stirring until caramel reaches a tad passed the soft-ball stage, 245ºF with a candy thermometer.
Remove from heat, and add vanilla extract- the caramel will bubble up! Stir until bubbles subside, and then poor over Bugles.
Mix caramel and Bugles until all of the Bugles are covered in caramel goodness.  Evenly spread Caramel Bugles over your prepared baking sheet, and let until cool.
Then share with your favorite people!

I detest Bugles. I think they are one of the worst snack foods ever. However, Sister Nyberg brought these Caramel Bugles to our Ward Campout over the summer, and in love I fell. They were like crack to me, and no one else dared try them, so I got to take a lot of them home, and made a request for the recipe. The next day I had the recipe, now here I am five months later, and I have finally gotten around to making them. However, I discovered upon making them that I only had 2/3 cup of Corn Syrup- the original recipe called for 1 cup Corn Syrup, so I scrambled around for an appropriate substitute, and I ended up dumping 1/3 cup of Honey. I know that the chemical structure of the two are fairly similar, but the difference in the honey would require that I cook it just a tad bit hotter than the original recipe.
I am happy to report that I dare say this is better than the original, and you should all give it a go! I'm pretending that it is healthier, because honey is healthy. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment